The Philo Club, an affiliate organization to Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., was created in 1943. The name Philo, which means “friend” in Greek, was given to the organization in 1954. Philos are women of high caliber, dedication, and commitment and who share our sorority’s principles of sisterhood and service.
The Philo Affiliate colors are Gold and White. The Philo Affiliates are a group of women who do not have a four-year college degree, who share the sorority’s principles and are interested in helping Sigma Gamma Rho render service to humankind and improve the community.
Within the five national regions, the Philo affiliates have over 44 chapters and 420 members. The Philos assist members of Sigma Gamma Rho with community service and social activities sponsored by their advising chapter. Additionally, Philos plan and implement their own activities as well.
Many years ago, Alumnae Chapters of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. realized the importance of the prestige, goodwill and cooperation of women who, for various reasons, were not members of any Greek letter organization. Many women were of the highest caliber, with outstanding religious, educational, civic and social connections; women who were substantial, dependable, and who exerted the energy and willingness to be active participants in helping Sigma Gamma Rho render service to humankind and improve the community.
Local Alumnae Chapters of the sorority organized these women into auxiliaries with various names. It was in 1980 that Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. officially approved these organized groups and accepted Philos (meaning friends) as the official name of the affiliate group. The Philos have rendered and continued to render valuable service to the Sorority and to the community.